Friday, July 23, 2021

Mr. Charisma

"Strangers in The Night" They say opportunity Knocks Once? In my case it kept knocking. I was fortunate to get up close and personal to Dino, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., and Joey Bishop. One night, right before L.A.'s KNBC News at 11 with Tom Brokaw, I was coming back from the graphics dept. Frank Sinatra walks through the back doors leading a large entourage on his way to a Mia Frarrow special in Studio 4, Dean Martin's Studio. We're on a collision course. I pulled an old Ross Porter trick. Ross would walk through the newsroom reading research for his sportscast. We would pass each other, I 'd say "Hi, Ross," He'd look at me, and "flutter" his eyebrows twice. That was a Ross saying "Hi." One night before the KNBC Local News w/Tom Brokaw, Frank Sinatra enters from the side parking lot. The doors open, he leads a large entourage down the hall to Studio 4, Dean's studio. I'm alone walking toward him, we're on a collision course, I looked at Frank, he looks at me, I gave him the old Ross Porter "eyebrow flutters," he smiled and "fluttered" back. It worked! I laughed all the way to the newsroom. Frank was "The Man. " Mr. Charisma!"

No comments:

Post a Comment