Thursday, November 5, 2020

Joey Bishop

"Joey Bishop and I were together in my house about 2 weeks ago we were in my den one morning swimming and he mixed himself a peculiar drink, and I said what are you drinking down there Joe? He looked down at me and said "scotch and carrot juice." I said why? Joey said, "when I get drunk I can see real good."  Dean Our first season Joey Bishop appeared on the Dean Martin Show. One of the original members of the "Rat Pack." Joey was a tough cookie to approach. He did his sketch with Dino and disappeared. He was probably in Dean's dressing room imbibing an "adult beverage." Many years later, I played in a St. Bonaventure Golf Tournament in Huntington Beach. The room was packed, I recognized a familiar face sitting at a table in the back of the room. It was Joey Bishop. He was well in his 80's. Sitting chatting with some friends. Vegas performer, talk show host, Bishop looked great. I shot out of my chair, and when one of his buddies left the table, guess what?  We had something in common. We both loved Dino, we talked about the Dean Martin Show, and  their Rat Pack days. My opinion of Joey changed, he was a great guy.  Lucky me, I had met every one of the "Pack" except for Peter Lawford. Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment