Friday, December 4, 2020

The Candy Man

Sammy Davis Jr. "I gotta be me..." A reprise of an old story. It was a Thursday night. Sammy Davis Jr. walked through the "Artist Entrance" looking for Dean. The AE lot was private parking for NBC star's and guests. It was nestled between the exec office building's famous "Commissary" and Studio's 1 thru 4. All the big stars from the "Golden Age of Television," Dino, Hope, Benny, Berle passed through the AE's hallowed swinging doors on their way to their dressing rooms. I digress, It's early evening and Sammy walks in, top hat, tan suit, cane, dapper as ever. I'm standing behind the Artist Entrance desk. He checks out my name tag, "Hey Mike, how do I get to Dean's dressing room?" I figured we were on a first name basis, I said, 'Sammy, Dean tapes on Sunday's. His show's on national TV later tonight, he's not here. " He was embarrassed, "I knew that." He gave me a big smile, spun around, and walked out through the AE doors. I'll never forget, "The Candy Man."

No comments:

Post a Comment