Thursday, May 25, 2023

Could have been A Contender!

 "I coulda been a contender!

" Greg Garrison Producer/Director of the Dean Martin Show stood out as an intimidating figure. Never get in his way!  One Sunday rehearsal Dean was in his dressing room taking care of business. Les Brown needed a sound check for "Welcome to My World," Garrison needed someone to block the shot and sing a few bars,  I knew I could do Dino's voice and sing the lyrics, Greg Garrison paused five seconds looked around the room, I caught his eye, almost raised my hand, thinking I could do this! Not so fast Mike, remember you're a Page, you're at the bottom of the food chain, and just for a "second,"  I pictured myself in Dean's chair singing his big hit. Just then producer/writer Lee Hale took the stage, my "second" came and went!!! My big chance for "stardom?" was history. 




Working on the "Dean Martin Show"  for two seasons could be summed up in five words, "YOU HAD TO BE THERE !" From my bedroom trying to "croon" like Dino back in my high school days (I wore my "Pretty Baby" album out!)  then standing next to Dean 10 years later, a dream came true for this kid from Chicago.   I know my mom  was listening with a smile on her face. Fast forward a decade later. I got her and my dad front row seats to "The Dean Martin Show."  Dean "winked" at them,  I'll never forget the look on their faces that Sunday afternoon. They were two proud Italians!

No comments:

Post a Comment