Saturday, May 27, 2023

Venus Meets Volare

 " Venus meets Volare." Remembering Frankie Avalon on the Dean Martin Show. My dad said Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell, Fabian Forte, Bobby Darin, Vic Damone, Johnny Desmond, Johnny Rivers all came from the same Italian roots as Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. Avalon, Darin and Rydell, were the second coming. Not sure if they knew it. Back in the late 60's, decked out in our NBC Page Blazers, Bill Woodley and I, were on a lunch break at Bob's Big Boy on Riverside Drive, near NBC. The place was packed.

In walks Frankie Avalon and his family. I asked Frankie if he wanted to join us. "Sure." Next thing we're chatting, about his songs and pictures, eating Big Boy's. Brief encounters can leave a lasting impression. Fast forward, a few years ago, Frankie was sitting at Fortunes Restaurant, in Old Town Laquinta. I walked up to his table, introduced myself, reminded him about Bob's Big Boy, back in the day, plugged my NBC Palm Springs TV Show WiseGuysCooking. I asked him if he would do a cameo. Still waiting. Mr. "Hey Venus" shocked my wife when we left, "Goodbye Mike." Great Guy. I'm sure singing with Dino was a thrill, working with Dean was for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment