Monday, May 8, 2023

John Roland and the Dean Martin Show

John Roland and the Dean Martin Show. Is it wrong for one man to love another man? I'm not gay but I loved John (Ginger) Roland. John Ginger was an SAE from Long Beach State I was a Sigma Chi we were good friends. After graduating John told me he landed a job at KNBC Los Angeles, I pestered him for months. "John, please set me up with an interview at NBC."
After months of hounding I got a call, "Mike I've set up an interview with Stan Zieve who handles the film crews for KNBC. Do you know how to ride a motorcycle?" I lied, and said yes! The next day I drove to NBC Burbank, interviewed for a messenger job, which entailed driving the freeways to LAX, picking up Viet Nam footage from a stewardess off a United 747 that just arrived from Hong Kong, back on the freeway, cycle it back to Burbank where it was edited and packaged to air on the 6pm News. That never happened. My first test ride on a Harley in the back lot with the "King of Messengers," Duffy, turned out to be a disaster. I'm in my coat and tie, riding a motorbike for the first time, ever, and crashing it in the back lot, hitting parked cars that belonged to KNBC reporters and anchormen. Stan Zieve gave me a reprieve, and set me up with an interview in Guest Relations, I was anointed with an NBC Page Blazer, and my first assignment was working on the Dean Martin Show. John Roland passed away last weekend in Florida. John RIP, you'll always be in my memories. I love you Bro!

No comments:

Post a Comment