Tuesday, October 20, 2020

"My Someplace Is Here"

"My Someplace is Here."   I remember introducing my college Frat Bros,  "back in the day," to the "Meet the Beatles" album.  I heard the "Fab Four" on an L.A. rock station and  knew these British "mopheads" would be huge.  We wore the album out at our first big "frat" party. Three years later, I'm an NBC Page working on the Dean Martin Show and I learned that Kenny Lane had penned a song back in 1947,  then he rewrote it  for Dean in 1964.  "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime." That hit song knocked "A Hard Day's Night" off  Billboards number #1.  Dino bragged to son Dino Jr., "See I told you I would knock your pals off,”   During Sunday rehearsals Kenny  would hangout with the Pages, the cue card guys, and "schmooze" with Les Brown's musicians. He was a funny guy, dressed like  " Barbie Ken Doll."  He was smooth, professional and earned respect from all the years as Dean's voice coach, Vegas band leader, composer, and  Dino's #1piano player. His hairpiece was a sight to behold. Flashforward 14 years later. Stick with me.  So Kenny rewrites a song for Dean,  it knocks the Beatles off the top of the charts. We travel to the Monaco Grand Prix with our pal Whitey Littlefield, Sinatra's "go to guy,"  Whitey indroduces us to one of his F-1  British pals, we're invited on his buddy's 70 foot yacht, moored against the back wall in Monaco Harbor, for a few adult beverages. Whitey, my pal John Morris, and I climb aboard the stern and find ourselves  with "legends" Ringo and George.  We sat  around a table BSing about how "Everybody Loves Somebody," beautiful women, and other "naughty" things.

No comments:

Post a Comment