Wednesday, October 21, 2020

"The Dapper Mr. Lane."  My Long Beach State Sigma Chi Fraternity Brothers to the "Meet the Beatles" album.  I heard the "Fab Four" on an L.A. rock station and I immediately knew these British "mopheads" would be huge.  We wore the album out at our first big "frat" party. Three years later, I'm an NBC Page working on the Dean Martin Show and I learned that Kenny Lane had written a song back in 1948, and that he rewrote  for Dean called "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime." That hit song knocked "A Hard Day's Night" off  Billboards number one list. The story goes, “See, I told you I was gonna knock your pallies off,”  Dean casually reminded his awestruck son Dino Jr. I digress, during Sunday rehearsals Kenny would hangout with Pages, the cue card guys, and "schmooze" with Les Brown's musicians. He was a funny guy, dressed like  "Ken the Barbie Doll." He was smooth, professional and earned respect for all the years he spent  as Dean's voice coach, Vegas band leader and eventually Dino's number one piano player. A funny chronology, Ken Lane writes a song for Dean Martin which knocks the Beatles off the top. 14 years later, our late pal Whitey Littlefield, Sinatra's go to guy, takes us to the 1980 Monaco Grand Prix. We hit it off with one of Whitey's British pals, we're invited on a 90 foot yacht moored against the back wall in Monaco Harbor for drinks. My pal John Morris and I find ourselves BS'ing. one on one, with Ringo and George, talking about how "everybody loves somebody sometime," and other "naughty" things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment