Tuesday, October 20, 2020

There's Not Another Who Can Take Your Place"

"There's not another who can take your place."     NBC Pages, back in the Days of Dean Martin Show, were paid about $65 a week. Hardly a wage you would work for these days. I got my foot in the door, and the future was ahead of me. I'm working the first week at NBC Burbank.  And I'm working on the Dean Martin Show.  Sixty five bucks? I would have paid a fortune for the opportunity of standing next to Dean.  I found this video on YouTube.  I remember standing next to the cue card guy, and the makeup man, who was  holding Deans drink.  Dean's almost finished with "Baby Face" the makeup man hands me Dean's glass, I took a "wiff,  I'm  "cracking up."  As you can see in this "grainy" video, his connection with us and the audience was magnetic. During the commercial after this song, he looks over and says. "Hey kid, did you like it?"  Holy crap, are you kidding, Dean Martin is talking to me?  Trying to look cool, I smiled. That "ear to ear" grin was pasted on my face the rest of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment